1. A Spool of Blue Thread focuses on the three generations of the Whitshanks and their stories. There are many themes that pop up such sibling rivalry, love, death, etc. Which theme had the biggest impact on you?
2. How well do you think that Anne Tyler handled the family dynamic and the generational gap in the book? Is her portrayal of siblings relationship and the relationship between siblings and parents accurate?
3. Which character/s do you emphasize with and would relate to the most? Is there anyone you didn’t like?
4. Have you read any other of Anne Tyler’s prolific books and how does it compare to A Spool of Blue Thread?
5. What part of the story did you enjoy the most and why? Are there any part you didn’t like?
6. Would you recommend A Spool of Blue Thread to a friend?
Check out our other book club discussion questions!