1.Assunta Mascaro, Stella’s mother was very religious. She believed in Jesus Christ and went to mass. When Assunta went into labor with her first child, the older women of Ievoli hung mint over her bed to ward off the Evil Eye. Why do you think that the women, who believed in God, also practiced things to ward off the Evil Eye? Is there a contradiction here? How do you explain it?
2. Of Stella’s many near deaths, which one did you like the most? Why? Continue reading “The Seven Or Eight Deaths Of Stella Fortuna Book Club Discussion Questions”
Read synopsis here.
1. Anna Kerrigan was not wearing stockings or shoes on the beach when she met Dexter Styles when she was 11 years. Why did Styles say Anna was strong to her dad Eddie Kerrigan? Did that set the tone for who Anna would become?
2. Anna had to prove herself in order to be a diver. Anna dons a diving outfit that weighed over 200 lbs, shoes that were 35 lbs and smelly head gear. Did you find the scene believable?
3. When Anna goes to the night club and see Dexter Styles, she gave him a false name. Why did she do that? What does it imply about her knowledge of her father? Continue reading “Manhattan Beach Book Club Discussion Questions”
1.The book starts off with descriptions of Eleanor’s job. Eleanor had been working at her job since she was 21. She said that the owner felt sorry for her and gave her the job because she had a black eye and a broken arm in a sling. What impressions did you have of Eleanor? What did you think this book was going to be about? Why do you think the author included this at the beginning? Continue reading “Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine Book Club Discussion Questions”
1.Kate, Aubrey and Jenny were three young women from different backgrounds when they met at college. Did you think that they were likely to be best friends?
2. At the beginning of the book, who did you like the most of the three friends? Why? Continue reading “It’s Always The Husband Book Club Discussion Questions”
1.The story starts with Kya’s Ma leaving and Kya waiting for her to come back. Later Jodie, then her Pa also left. How do you think abandonment shaped Kaya’s outlook in life. What repercussions did it have? Why did she leave?
2. Kya’s dad started taking her out on the boat. Did you think that it was a turning point in their relationship? Why did he leave? Continue reading “Where The Crawdads Sing Book Club Discussion Questions”
Read synopsis here.
1. Why was Saverio Armandonada’s relationship with his dad Leone so strained after Saverio told his dad that he didn’t want to work in the Ford Rouge factory and start a career in singing? Was Leone’s response to Saverio typical of the Italian-American for that time? Can you understand Leone’s side of the argument? What repercussions did the argument have?
Continue reading “Tony’s Wife Book Club Discussion Questions”
“They tell you they pay you, you go on the road, they no pay you. I hear stories of the show business. It’s for gypsies. You work, the boss keeps all the money. You starve. He gets fat and he gets showgirls and you get nothing.”Tony’s Wife, page 25.
Discussion Questions: The Address by Fiona Davis.
1. Have you read any other works by Fiona Davies? If so, did you find her writing style enjoyable and easy to follow?
2. Do you enjoy reading novels with parallel plots and story lines?
3. Do you feel Fiona Davis captured the parallel plot lines she
interwove into the story?
4. Was there anything in the book that surprised you?
Continue reading “The Address Book Club Discussion Questions”
Read The Secrets Between Us synopsis.
1. The Secrets Between Us contained many themes, including family, love, friendship, poverty, modernity, globalization, tradition, and marriage to name a few. Which theme impacted you the most? Why?
2. The book explores the idea that we need more than just money to survive and to feel human. We need family and friends. Bima’s ‘family’ and friends include Parvati and the lesbian couple Chitra and Sunita. Are you surprised by this eclectic group whose class division seem to set them apart? Continue reading “The Secrets Between Us Book Club Discussion Questions”
Read The Mars Room synopsis
1. One of the last paragraphs at the end of the book says, “I emerged from the the tree and turned into the light, not slow. I ran toward them, toward the light.”
What do you think about the ending? Did the ending surprise you? Did you like it, and was it what you expected?
2. Romy talks about paths that everyone is on. Jackson, Romy’s son is on his path, and she on hers. In the last page of the book it says “I gave him life. It is quite a lot to give. It is the opposite of nothing. And the opposite of nothing is not something. It is everything.
What do you take away from that? Is she talking about her life, or life in general? Continue reading “The Mars Room Book Club Discussion Questions”
1. What do you think about the author Wade Rouse using his grandmother’s name as a pen name in honor of her?
2. Do you have your own recipe box or have you been handed down a recipe box from your mother or grandmother?
3. We are living in the age of technology so when you are looking for a recipe do you immediately go to the internet or do you have a cookbook or cookbooks you use? Continue reading “The Recipe Box Book Club Discussion Questions”