1. Before reading the book, did you know who Marjorie Post was? What was your impression of her at the beginning of the book? Did your opinion of her change by the end of the book?
2. Did you like Majorie? What do you admire about her? Were you impressed with homes and property she built and the presidents she knew?
3. What do you think of Majorie’s decision to marry Edward Close? Was she too young? Do you think it was inevitable that it wouldn’t work out because she wanted to marry him to get away from Lila and her father to start her own family?
4. Majorie’s father C. W. Post made her balance her household budget. Was this a good life skill that he taught her? What other skills do you think he taught her that was important and helped her in her life?
5. What do you think of Majorie’s relationship with her father?
6. Which husband do you think is the most suited Majorie? Why?
7. How did each of Majorie’s marriages change her? Why do you think her marriages fail?
8. There were many themes in the book – women’s changing roles in society, love, family, wealth and opulence of the rich, traditional male roles to name a few. Which theme stood out to you?
9. Majorie lived in a period in history that had many changes, spanning from 1887 – 1973. How much do you think that Majorie’s life has impacted the history of that period?
10. What did you take away from the book? Who would you recommend it to?
Enhance Your Book Club
Check out Study Guide: The Magnificent Lives Of Majorie Post for plot summary, chapter summary and analysis, themes, characters, quotes and topic of discussions!
Check out the video below showing the interview with Allison Pataki.