1. What was your initial thoughts on Yellow Wife? Did the book pull you in right away? Was it a page turner for you?
2. Did you think Pheby was naïve in thinking that she would be free? Do you think freedom was a real possibility for her if her mother had not died?
3. How did Pheby change through out the book? Did your opinion of her change at all?
4. Pheby referred to Rubin Lapier as The Jailer and Lapier referred Pheby as the Mistress of Lapier Jail. What did you think of the relationship between Pheby and Rubin Lapier, was it a master-slave relationship? Do you think Lapier loved Pheby? How did Pheby feel about Lapier?
5. Which part of the story did you find horrendous? Were you surprised by the description of how the slaves were treated?
6. Themes such as sacrifice, bravery, torture, maternal love, to name a few, were boundless in the book. Which theme impacted you the most? Why?
7. What did you think of the conditions of Lapier jailhouse? Did you think that it was realistic? What does it say about the owner of the jail?
8. Pheby helped in the slave trading trade by “prettying up” the girls for auction. How did you feel about her actions? Did she have a choice?
9. What did you think of the ending? Was it what you expected?
10. After reading Yellow wife, would you read the author’s latest book coming out February 7, 2023, The House of Eve?
Check out the interview with Sadeqa Johnson below!