Please put your comments in for The Paris Wife book club discussion questions below in the comments area.
1. Did you enjoy The Paris Wife, and would you recommend this book?
2. This is a fictionalized account of Ernest Hemingway’s marriage to Hadley Richardson written from mainly Hadley’s perspective. Knowing that Hadley was the first of the one of four wives, you find her narrative convincing and believable? Were you sympathetic towards her?
3. The romance and portrayal of Hadley and Hemingway’s love was steadfast in many ways in light of the times and the circumstances. Did it surprise you that Hemingway’s affair with Hadley’s friend Pauline tore them apart? Did you see it coming?
4. Hadley ignored some of the signs that their marriage was being torn, do you think she could have saved their marriage? Why do you think she gave up?
5. In Hemingway’s book The Sun Also Rises, based on their travels in Spain and the bull fights, Hadley was not written in the book but their friends were, why do you think that Hadley was deliberately not written in?
6. Ernest was not ready to have a baby, yet it happened quite unexpectedly, do you think this changed Hadley’s and Ernest’s relationship for the good? How do you think it changed Hadley and her view of things?
7. Hadley looses all of Ernest’s work that in a suitcase. Looking back, this was a big turning point in his career. Do you think Ernest ever forgive Hadley? Was he ever grateful for all she did for his career, or was this something taken for granted?
If you have other questions that we have not included in our discussion questions for The Paris Wife, please add your opinions and questions below.