1. After Clara finds out about Nick death it takes Clara a really long time to tell her daughter Maisie. Why do you think it took her so long to tell her daughter? What were her motives?
2. What is the significance the title of the book, Every Last Lie ? How does it tie into the book?
3. The book centers on family relationships, and also motherhood. What is Clara’s relationship like with her mother Louisa? Discuss Clara’s relationship with her children Maisie and Felix. Has Clara’s relationship with her mother determined what sort of a mother Clara will be? What about Nick’s death, how has that influenced Clara’s relationship with her kids?
4. What is Nick and Clara’s relationship like? Do you think they have a normal relationship?
5. After finding out about Nick’s death, Clara is overwhelmed with grief and is unable to function normally. Can you relate to Clara’s state of mind? Did you sympathize with her?
6. Grief is the main theme in this book. How does the five stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance) impact Clara? Are each of the stages there? Discuss the stages she goes through.
7. This psychological thriller is presented like a crime novel. How effective is the premise in creating suspense? Do you think the author succeeded in achieving it?
8. Which character did you identify with the most? Why?
9. Nick’s problems just kept on escalating. Do you think he should have told Clara the truth right at the beginning? At what point was it pointless in telling her? How do you think Clara would have responded to the truth?
10. Which part of the book did you enjoy the most. Were there anything that surprised you?
11. Did you enjoy the book? Who would you recommend it to?
Check out our book review for Every Last Lie.
Enhance Your Book Club:
Check out the Grief Institute for help on grief issues.
More info on grief see the Kubler-Ross model.
Here’s a resource to help with the grieving process and to move on. The Grief Recovery Handbook: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce and Other Losses.
Here’s a video of author Mary Kubica talking about her latest book Every Last Lie, her writing process, and the inspiration for it .