1.Did you know what Pachinko was before you read the book?
2. Pachinko is a popular gambling machine in Japan. Why do you think the book is call Pachinko? What does the title of the book relate to?
3. What was your initial reaction to the book at the beginning? Did it pull you in right away or did it take time to hook you?
4. The book has an omniscient narrator. Did you like this approach in Pachinko? Do you think it benefited the reader’s reading experience? Did it augment the story line?
5. What was your favorite quote or passage in the book?
6. The book contain many themes, including family, poverty, identity, immigration, survival, hope, to name a few. Which theme impacted you the most? Why?
7. What part of the book surprised you? Why?
8. Which part of the saga did you enjoy the most?
9. Which character did you relate to the most? Why?
10. Why did Noa commit suicide? Were you surprised by this turn of event?
11. What was your take-away from the book? Did you learn anything new?
12. What did you think of the ending? Did you think the ending could have been different? How did the ending make you feel emotionally?
13. Pachkino has been adapted into a TV series available on Apple TV +, have you seen the show? How does it compare to the book?
14. After reading Pachinko, who would you recommend it to?
Enhance Your Book Club:
Check out summary and study guide: Pachinko for plot summary, chapter summary and analysis, themes, characters, quotes and topic of discussions!
Don’t forget to check out our Pachinko book review!
Check out the author interview part one and two below!