Please put your comments in for The Last Painting of Sara De Vos book club discussion questions below in the comments area.
1. The setting of The Last Painting of Sara De Vos took place in various locations and time period. Did you find Smith’s method of going back and forth and between the different time periods and locations a success to keeping you engaged?
2. Which character did you most identify with? Why?
3. Why do you think Ellie agreed to restore the painting? Would you have done it in her position?
4. At the Edge of a Wood had different meanings to each person. What did the painting represent to Sara, Ellie, and Marty?
5. The Last Painting of Sara de Vos backdrop was the Dutch Golden Age, did you find that you wanted to see and learn more about this era after reading this book?
6. What did Marty want to achieve by traveling to Sydney to deliver the painting? What emerges from the reconciliation between Marty and Ellie?
7. What was Ellie’s purpose in going to Edith Zeller’s bed and breakfast in Heemstede? Did she find what she was looking for?
8. After reading The Last Painting of Sara de Vos, who would your recommend it to?
If you have other questions that we have not included in our discussion questions for The Last Painting of Sara de Vos, please add your opinions and questions below.