1.Were you surprised by who the murderer was? Did you guess right?
2. Kate English and Blaire Barrington’s friendship ended because of Simon and a difference in opinions. What did you think about the friendship between Kate and Blaire? Do you think that their friendship was tenuous? Have you fallen out with a friend because of a new boyfriend/girlfriend?
3. Which character did you least like? Which character did you like?
4. Can you relate to, or identify with any of the characters?
It’s that time again to wrap up my reading progress for the first half of the year, 2019.
I am ecstatic to report that I read more books than I could ever imagine. I read a total of 80 books in 6 months. That’s a world record for me. I went over my Goodreads reading challenge by 20 books already!
From the title, The Seven Or Eight Deaths Of Stella Fortuna by Juliet Grames I was thinking a murder mystery but it was not what I had expected. I had read The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton last year and thought it would be something similar, like a who dunnit murder mystery. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be an Italian family saga novel.
This was a debut novel for Juliet Grames and what a great start! I loved this book!
This book is definitely worth reading, and here’s why:
1.Assunta Mascaro, Stella’s mother was very religious. She believed in Jesus Christ and went to mass. When Assunta went into labor with her first child, the older women of Ievoli hung mint over her bed to ward off the Evil Eye. Why do you think that the women, who believed in God, also practiced things to ward off the Evil Eye? Is there a contradiction here? How do you explain it?
2. Of Stella’s many near deaths, which one did you like the most? Why?
1. Anna Kerrigan was not wearing stockings or shoes on the beach when she met Dexter Styles when she was 11 years. Why did Styles say Anna was strong to her dad Eddie Kerrigan? Did that set the tone for who Anna would become?
2. Anna had to prove herself in order to be a diver. Anna dons a diving outfit that weighed over 200 lbs, shoes that were 35 lbs and smelly head gear. Did you find the scene believable?
3. When Anna goes to the night club and see Dexter Styles, she gave him a false name. Why did she do that? What does it imply about her knowledge of her father?